Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Saturday sales


Oh yes. Saturday garage and estate sales, and I came home with a bunch of good stuff but nothing so cool as these hats. Upright Midwestern church-going hats these are (Methodist, I would guess, or possibly Presbyterian). The woman who sold these to me said she remembered her grandmother dressing in her little suits and gloves and then putting on the hat right before she went out the door. Neat as a pin.

I remember my own grandmothers (both Methodist) doing the same (though their hats are long
gone), as did my mother for a time. My mother-in-law continued wearing her hats to church (Lutheran) until last year, when she no longer felt well enough to attend, and she loved the comments and compliments, especially when she pulled out the lovely fake leopard skin hat from the fifties. I've got a few of her hats now, but they're too small for me, whereas these lovelies came from another big-headed woman.

Big enough for my 13-year-old son (agnostic) to model for me, right before he took off for a boy scout car wash.

Now that's something grandma didn't expect.

15 comments:

littlebird said...

oooh those hats are lovely, like the one with the pink flowers. I love charity shop finds, we don't have "yard sales" over here, i'd love to go to one thought ; 0

Caroline said...

Haha, your son is adorable!! What a great find.

Hey Harriet said...

Nice score with those hats! Your cutie son looks none too pleased having to model the granny hat (I bet he was hoping that none of his mates would wander past at the time ;)

My grandmother was a Methodist also. One of those odd-ball granny things I guess...

Callooh Callay said...

Actually, he was quite willing as long as I didn't make him smile. I think if he was even six months older he might have refused--although who knows, he's always been a bit of a ham.

Patti said...

Oh, those hats bring back so many memories. I've worn some like those, albeit many years ago! thank you for sharing!

Rosebud Collection said...

They are really nice..I remember we always had to wear hats to church (Catholic)..some people still do.
I have a fur hat of my moms with muff, from the 40ies..

Rosebud Collection said...

Wanted to say, son looks cute and what a good sport..

High Desert Diva said...

I want to know how big of a head the hat your son is modeling will fit. I love that hat!

And my (non-spiritual) head is huge.

Callooh Callay said...

I still need to do some research on these hats--I was in a thread last week on vintage hats, with links on unions labels and everything (lost of great vintage hats on Etsy), so I'll let you know!

Sarah McBride said...

I AM STAKING YOU NOW! Those hats are awesome. i LOVE the pink flowers hat!!

Nice, making your son model the granny hat! HAH! Now you have blackmail for years to come.

Callooh Callay said...

This picture doesn't even do that pink hat justice. It is fabulous! I tried these all on again last night, and they are too small for my head (damn!) or I'd be keeping every one of them!

Lauren Alexander said...

I was just thinking of becoming a hat person...got a new haircut that might need to hide...great find!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Love it!! Nothing like a man in a hat!!!!

ThePeachTree said...

I am SOOO jealous :)

DJ said...

Wow great find, I love old hats!